The Science – IPL Hair Removal and ND:YAG Laser
ND:YAG is the safest laser that you can use as you have no concerns over skin type, skin colour, pigment or tanning. It ignores the presence of melanin and the treatment is fine tuned to your exact hair and skin colour, the Nd:YAG works in very safe parameters avoiding the chances of burns. The Nd:YAG is one of the most effective lasers for vein removal, and acute acne treatments (where you are using the laser’s heat to destroy bacteria below the skin), for Rosacea, vascular lesions and unsightly vein treatments, this devices goes as far as to great foot nail fungus. In addition it has the ability to naturally tone, tighten and texture the skin, while stimulating natural collagen production. This thermal effect induces collagen remodelling and new collagen formation, producing the toning, tightening and texture improvements. Above all, it gives an almost pain free treatment.
Advanced Intense Pulsed Light treatment
Advanced Intense Pulsed Light treatment is a permanent laser hair reduction method based on light and selective photothermolysis. The hair absorbs the energy from the laser light, where it converts into heat and stalls the hair growth of each hair follicle. IPL hair removal has proved to be more versatile and flexible in treating a ranging of hair colours (excluding white and grey).
Advanced Intense Pulsed Light system produces a non-laser, non-coherent, light of variable wavelengths. Very short bursts of broad spectrum light are applied to the treatment area and passes through the skin. The energy of the light is absorbed by areas where melanin is concentrated. The light energy converts into heat energy where the temperature rises around 65-70C, this heat than damages the hair producing capability of the hair follicle, its ability to re growth destroyed.
The more commonly-used laser hair removal treatments depend on the high level of energy in the laser light being taken up by the melanin pigment within the hair. The melanin converts the energy into heat, destroying not only the hair but the hair matrix and hair bulb at the base of the follicle. The heat generated in the hair follicle is conducted down to the base of the follicle much more readily in an anagen hair (which is still connected to the base of the follicle) than in the resting telogen hair (when any heat generated has to cross the gap to reach the future hair-producing region). This is why most effective laser hair removal occurs when the follicles are in the active anogen growing phase. Because not all follicles are in this phase, multiple laser hair treatments are sometimes required. The best results also occur when there is plenty of target pigment melanin in the hair and for that reason white and grey hair cannot be treated.
What is the difference between IPL hair removal(Intense Pulsed Light) and laser permanent hair reduction?
When it comes to the effect on the skin and hair, there is no difference between the hair reduction results achievable through either treatment. Both laser and IPL rely on the effects of light, however, IPL hair removal is a newer and more versatile technique which allows a wider range of skin and hair types to be treated more safely. IPL is usually a much less uncomfortable treatment to have.
How does the treatment feel?
No anaesthesia is required and most patients describe the discomfort as moderate and acceptable and evaluate the discomfort level of the treatment as being significantly less than other hair removal methods such as waxing, plucking, threading, electrolysis. Sensations vary but most describe as a light tingling sensation but not much more than a snap of a rubber band making it the preferred choice for unwanted hair.
- We are registered with the Healthcare commission and the Westminster council, our treatments and protocols are monitored by our laser protection adviser (LPA) and our laser protection supervisor (LPS) to ensure that our treatments are practiced in a safe environment.
- Our treatments are constantly reviewed for improvement by our LPS.
- Our bookings are very flexible as we are open Monday-Saturday till 8.30pm every evening.
- Our treatments can be personalised to each individual so that optimum results are achieved, whether that is a chemical peel treatment or a laser hair removal session or any other treatment at The Harley Laser Specialists.
- At The Harley Laser Specialists, you would be greeted by one of our highly practised consultants and practitioners who specialise in male/female treatments.
- Our qualified staff utilises the latest technology and follow strict operational procedures in accordance to the highest industry standards.
- Our code of conduct is designed to provide a safe, high quality service at an affordable price.
- We are one of only a very few clinics on Harley Street that can treat Asian skin types safely and successfully.
- The Harley Laser Specialists offers price comparison, we can beat any quote given by a clinic for a treatment within the borough of Westminster.
- Our consultations are free of charge, you can receive free information and advice.
- At The Harley Laser Specialists we are able to split your payment into installments, we do not require an up front payment.
- At The Harley Laser Specialists we aim to deliver a service that is exceptionally higher than the rest.
- We are one of the very few clinics to offer our clients the choice between alternating their treatments with IPL hair removal or ND YAG laser.
- We are one of the very few laser clinics which are insured to treat Fitzpatrick skin type 5 and 6 (Dark Asian and black skin) for laser hair removal.
- We are also one of the very limited clinics which can treat medium blonde hair successfully.